We’re really happy that you’d like to contribute to the Medito blog! Here are a few guidelines to help.
We’re interested in blog posts around:
- General mindfulness / meditation / mental health
- Personal experiences of meditation
- Mindful living linked to current events
- Keep sentence structure simple
- Keep paragraphs short
- Consider adding sub-headings throughout to break up the text and make it easier to scan
- Suggested length is 500 - 1500 words
Firstly, consider George Orwell’s Six Rules:
- Never use a metaphor, simile or other figure of speech which you are used to seeing in print (see metaphors).
- Never use a long word where a short one will do.
- If it is possible to cut out a word, always cut it out.
- Never use the passive where you can use the active.
- Never use a foreign phrase, a scientific word or a jargon word if you can think of an everyday English equivalent.
- Break any of these rules sooner than say anything outright barbarous.
- Be friendly and inclusive - Use a polite, respectful and kind tone. Include the reader by talking about ‘us’ and ‘we’. We are all a part of the Medito Community.
Use simple and straightforward language - Try to avoid jargon and use the language of everyday speech, not that of spokesmen, lawyers or bureaucrats (so, for example, prefer let to permit, people to persons, buy to purchase, colleague to peer, show to demonstrate).
Try not be hectoring - Those who disagree with you are not necessarily stupid or insane. When you express opinions, do not simply make assertions. The aim is not just to tell readers what you think, but to persuade them; if you use arguments, reasoning and evidence, you may succeed. Go easy on the oughts and shoulds.
Do your best to be lucid - Simple sentences help. Keep complicated constructions and gimmicks to a minimum, if necessary by remembering the New Yorker’s comment: “Backward ran sentences until reeled the mind.”
If you mention scientific research, always provide a link to what you are talking about.
If you don’t mention research, but you are talking about something that would need to be backed up, e.g. the health benefits of mindfulness and meditation, provide a link.
What to do next
If you have ideas for a blog post, please add them to this sheet.
Please submit your blog post as a new topic in this Discourse channel. Please add a Google doc so people can comment.
We look forward to reading your blog post. Thank you!